To Serve or Not To Serve?

This is the time of year when holiday parties in full swing, and homeowners ask about their liability if a party guest gets drunk and later gets in a car wreck or other accident.  In Louisiana, there is usually very little responsibility.   A homeowner, however, has a duty to not serve alcohol to underage persons. There is a much higher chance of getting sued if an underage person gets in a wreck. 
The Louisiana Supreme Court has held that unless a homeowner serves an “of age” adult who is obviously impaired, there is very little risk of being held accountable, should a party guest get in a wreck.  The best rule is to always keep tabs on your guests and call a cab or make arrangements if anyone seems unable to drive.  Safety, especially in the holiday season, is the best policy.

May we help you with a legal situation? To schedule a private consultation, call the Gouner Law Office at 225-293-6200 or toll free 800-404-1921You can also fill out our contact form.

Share this Article:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *